sg_children

irish  graveyards

St. Patrick’s, Oram

Oram_16The village and community of Oram is an integral part of the parish community of Muckno. Its church of St Patrick pre-dates any of the churches that were built in the town of Castleblayney. In fact, Oram is at the heart of the original parish of Muckno, taking in the area to the east and north of the lake.

The actual date of the erection of the church at Oram is uncertain. There is evidence of its existence in 1770, as the Penal Laws slowly began to be relaxed. Despite the doubt as to the age of the present church we know from the Journal of Bishop James Donnelly (Bishop of Clogher 1865-1893) that it was dedicated, probably following improvements, on All Saints Day, 1 November 1868.

Oram_2In 1997, through the efforts of the local community, a Grotto of Our Lady was built along the avenue to the front of the church.

St Patrick’s, Oram retains its special character which adds greatly to its suitability for the celebration of the Eucharist and other Sacraments. As the gathering place of the People of God in this area, it has a special charm and retains a special place in the hearts of the people of this part of Muckno and indeed of the surrounding areas.

Oram_28